
Kate Middleton makes surprise public appearance to meet victims of Southport attack
It is her first public engagement with her husband since her cancer diagnosis
Kate Middleton made Southport her first official engagement since finishing chemotherapy as she visited the town to meet emergency responders and the bereaved families of the stabbing that killed three schoolgirls and injured ten others.
The Princess of Wales delivered hugs and a heartfelt “thank you” to the emergency workers called to the fatal attack after meeting the children’s bereaved families. Kate and William spent 90 minutes chatting privately with the families after making an unannounced visit to Southport – their first joint official outing since the princess’ cancer treatment ended in the summer.
At an undisclosed location, the couple met the loved ones of Bebe King, six, Elsie Dot Stancombe, seven, and Alice Dasilva Aguiar, nine – all fatally stabbed during a Taylor Swift-themed dance class on July 29 in Southport, and the children’s dance teacher. In a social media post following the visit William and Kate said: “Meeting the community today has been a powerful reminder of the importance of supporting one another in the wake of unimaginable tragedy.”
After spending 30 minutes with each of the families, they walked the short distance to Southport Community Centre where they joined emergency responders involved in the incident to hear about their experiences, and meet health practitioners supporting the “blue light” community in the town. Kate and William sat next to each other on a bench in the centre’s gardens for an emotional conversation with the emergency workers.
Referencing their earlier meeting with the families, Kate said: “I can’t underestimate how grateful they all are for the support you provided on the day. On behalf of them, thank you.”
William told the responders: “You’re all heroes. Please make sure you look after yourselves, please take your time, don’t rush back to work.”
Away from the cameras, Kate gave some of the fire, ambulance, police and air ambulance workers invited a hug, after they struggled to express feelings. It is understood the engagement was planned as a solo visit for William, but Kate decided to join her husband in order to show her support, empathy and compassion for the local community.
The princess has been slowly returning to a light programme of public duties following her announcement in a video four weeks ago that her course of chemotherapy had ended and her focus would be “doing what I can to stay cancer free”. Kate was pictured last week hugging aspiring photographer Liz Hatton, 16, who has a rare form of cancer, after the teenager was invited to Windsor Castle by William to take pictures during an investiture ceremony he hosted.
She also made a private visit a few weeks ago to watch the English National Ballet’s matinee show of Giselle at Sadler’s Wells Theatre in London, and posted on social media about the “moving and inspiring” performance. William and Kate’s visit follows a similar engagement held by the King in August when he also met the bereaved families and emergency workers.