
King Charles arrives solo at Royal Variety Performance after Queen Camilla forced to pull out
King Charles arrived at the Royal Variety Performance solo this evening after Queen Camilla was forced to pull out of attending due to a persistent chest infection. The Queen has scaled back on engagements after falling ill, and is said to be still affected by post-viral symptoms from the infection.
A royal source said the Queen was “naturally disappointed to miss the evening’s entertainments and sends her sincere apologies to all those involved, but is a great believer that ‘the show must go on’”.
“She hopes to be back to full strength and regular public duties very soon,” the source added.
Charles accepted flowers on behalf of Camilla during his arrival at the Royal Albert Hall. The King received the posy of flowers meant for Camilla from eight-year-old Iris King-Taylor as he arrived at the event on Friday evening. The flowers were picked from the gardens of the Royal Variety charity’s nursing home Brinsworth House, in Twickenham.
This year’s Royal Variety Performance will be hosted by Amanda Holden and Alan Carr, replacing last year’s host Bradley Walsh. The King will enjoy performances by Britain’s Got Talent winner Sydnie Christmas, the cast of Oliver!, and Starlight Express, among others.